Prodigy Annette_15’s Tournament Strategy Analyzed To Bring Your Some Annette_15 Tips!
Poker phenomenon Annette Obrestad – Better known as Annette_15 made the transition from online tournament poker pro to live game star after winning the inaugural World Series Europe. She famously won a 180 player SNG tournament without looking at her own hole-cards! This article follows an analysis of many of Annette_15’s online poker tournament achievements. We look at how she plays and break these down into bite-sized poker strategy pieces that can be used to improve our games at the tables.
This is part #1 of a 2 part series – the second part will look in detail at Annette Obrestad’s final table play.
Annette_15 Poker Strategy #1 – Early Game Tournament Play
- Disciplined – Early poker tournament strategy involved very few fancy plays, just solid ABC poker taking advantage of the cards on offer.
- Ace Hands – Folded! Annette never plays aces with small kickers in the early game, even folding Ace-Queen to a small pre-flop raise with several opponent’s still to act.
- Raising Not Calling – Annette very rarely calls any raise. Either the hand is good enough for a re-raise or it is not played at all.
- Open Raises – Most pairs and any suited connectors are raised from any position with a ‘standard’ 3 times the big blind bet.
- Continuation Bets – Annette 15’s Poker tournament play involved a very high percentage of continuation bets where she raised pre-flop. These were a good size, around 2/3rds to 3/4s of the pot size.
- No Slow-Playing! – Strong hands were always played in a straightforward manner with raises and re-raises, no tricky play or slow-playing in the early stages.
Whatever Your Experience level SNG Planet have Poker Tournament Information Tailored To You – Check Out These Popular Articles:
• Best Beginners Poker Tournaments
• 5 Great Alternatives To The Poker Stars Sunday Million
• Best Site For EPT Satellite Qualifiers
Annette_15 Poker Strategy #2 – Mid-Game Tournament Play
- Disciplined Short-Stack Play – After losing a big-pot and getting down to a micro-stack Annette 15 folded several hands waiting for something with showdown value, discipline that many players would not have shown!
- Implied Odds – At 15 times the big blind suited connectors and small pairs are folded, showing an awareness of the lack of correct odds to play these hands.
- Stealing Stack Size – Tight play with open-raising with 15 times the blind was countered by a loosening up of re-stealing strength. All-in re-steals being most common when an opponent raised from either the button or the cut-off seats.
- Gap Concept – Annette_15 consistently shows not only awareness of the gap concept but play very much based on this – a large gap between hands used to open raise and those used to call a raise (or re-raise) throughout the middle stages, even when holding a large stack of chips.
- UTG Steals – Well they say that ‘UTG is the new button’ and Annette Obrestad seems more than aware of this. More than once stealing a ‘vulnerable blind’ by raising a medium strength hand from under the gun.
- Raise Sizes – As the blinds got higher Annette’s raises go smaller, shifting from 3 times the big blind in the early stages to 2.5 times in the mid stages of the tournament.
- Showing Hands – Finally, many opponents showed hands through the middle stages of the tournament we analyzed. Annette 15 was a notable exception, never showing any hand to give opponents a clue as to her preferred betting patterns.
Want To Emulate Annette's Success?? I recommend the smaller tournaments you'll find at America's Cardroom Poker as the best place to start. These games are filled with amateur and recreational players, making them much easier to beat than tournaments at certain bigger sites (which tend to be full of experienced 'grinders'). What I like best about the tournaments at ACR Poker is that the field sizes are smaller, giving you a better chance of reaching the final table before 6am the next morning!
Planet Mark’s Rec: America’s Cardroom are crushing it for online poker tournament events that welcome both US and worldwide players. ‘The Venom’ tops the list, add to this the popular OSS events, PKO games and a packed regular schedule with guarantees that are growing all the time.
Best of all, you can get your bankroll off to a flying start with a huge 100% welcome deal using referral code SNGPLANET.
Check out the latest promos and tournament events for yourself now at www.americascardroom.eu!