The Complete Guide to PlayTech Slots, Jackpots and Themes
You’ll find a lot of slots in the PlayTech range. As with many of the software houses which have been around a while, some are brilliant while others are showing their age.
My guide to PlayTech slots sorts the great from the dated titles – and includes my picks in different categories.
Here are the different sections you’ll find below:
- PlayTech Jackpots: Some are grouped (Age of the Gods, DC Superheroes) and others are tied to individual slots. This part covers the million+ prizes, and the bigger 6-figure progressives.
- DC Comics: Batman, Superman, Green Lantern and many others. These are some of the best PlayTech titles.
- Age of the Gods: A lot of titles in this range – which share a big jackpot pool.
- Sporting Legends: Sport and slots come together with some superstar themes.
- TV / Movie Tie-Ins: My personal favourite is in this category, which includes a lot of fun titles.
- Quirky / Humorous: Here you’ll find some surprising games, and some tie-ins too.
- Traditional Slot Themes: Irish luck, deep sea and Egypt… all classics with solid PlayTech slots representing them.
- About PlayTech: If you are interested in the company behind these games, this section is for you.
- Planet Mark’s Picks! There are a lot of great games to choose from. After serious thought, I named 3 slots are my personal picks.
Where to Enjoy PlayTech Slots?
Before getting to the jackpots, a quick rec. If you are a regular reader, you’ll already know I stick to the big / trusted casinos.
My go-to for PlayTech is BGO Casino.
This is a huge brand, UK licensed and with a long history. They give new players 10 free spins (no deposit needed). These are for NetEnt slots (though you can play PlayTech games with what you win!).
Do check out the promotions page – BGO are excellent when it comes to looking after their players.
Grab your free spins at www.bgo.com now!
PlayTech Jackpot Slots
A lot to get through here. There are some jackpots which are shared between different slots, and others which are stand-alone.
Stand Alone PlayTech Jackpots:
- Jackpot Giant Slot: This is a huge prize, with over a million up for grabs. Jackpot Giant is a quirky game, where you play on a volcanic island, with your friendly giant host helping with the action during the ‘volcano bonus game’. You do need to bet max to be in with a shot at the multi-million progressive. For more, check out my Jackpot Giant slot review.
- Beach Life: This is an older slot and looks crowded. It is lively, and the Caribbean style music helps set the scene. The main reason to play is the big stand-alone prize, which again can go over $1 million. For more check out my Beach Life Slots review.
- Monty Python’s Spammalot: A fantastic game, even without the jackpot. You can win this via the ‘Holy Grail Bonus’. There are 3 other entertaining bonus games, which will be familiar to anyone who knows the ‘Quest for the Holy Grail’ film. See my Spammalot Review for details.
Age of the Gods Jackpots
PlayTech used to have a pooled jackpot system with superhero slots from a well-known movie franchise. When this deal ended, they moved the same system to their Age of the Gods range.
This jackpot is in the good 6-figure range (£230,000 at the time of writing this). 3 smaller amounts can also be won. They are awarded at random at any stake level. You’ll see a grid, and pick until you win one of the jackpots.
Some of the Age of the Gods slots are excellent – and all of them are above average. They are themed on Greek and Roman myths.
Here are the titles – you can compare them in my Age of the Gods Slots Special, which in turn links to the individual game reviews. There is a summary of each game in the Age of the Gods section below:
- Age of the Gods (original)
- Fate Sisters
- Furious 4
- God of Storms
- Goddess of Wisdom
- King of Olympus
- Medusa and Monsters
- Prince of Olympus
DC Comics Jackpots
These are some of the best titles in the PlayTech range. Having 6-figure progressive jackpots – which are again randomly awarded at any stake – is a big plus.
The characters will be instantly familiar. Many of these slots are movie tie-ins, and all of them have multiple bonus games.
My pick is Green Lantern. This is an excellent slot with cascading wins and different levels of bonus feature. You can also enjoy Batman Returns, Batman vs Superman, Justice League, The Dark Knight Rises and more. These slots are covered in the DC Comics slots section below.
PlayTech Slots with Smaller Progressives
By smaller, I mean less than $100,000. There is still plenty of scope for big wins with these titles. Here are some great examples:
- Sporting Legends: Frankie Dettori has his own slots, which come with progressives and entertaining race-themed bonus games.
- Jackpot Giant: This is set on a prehistoric volcanic island with a friendly giant host. The prize is regularly in the lower 6-figure range.
- Gladiator: Ancient Rome, with plenty of bonus action plus one of the biggest progressives.
Full PlayTech Jackpots List
You can see the current PlayTech jackpot prizes, along with others from IGT and NetEnt in one big list at BGO Casino.
Go to the homepage, and you'll see a 'jackpots' tab on the right-hand side under the header graphic. You can then click 'show all' for the impressive list.
BGO are my go-to for PlayTech slots. They have a huge selection from other slot software houses too. You'll get 10 no-deposit free spins (no play-through required on wins) to check out the games.
See the latest jackpots now over at www.bgo.com
PlayTech Slot Themes: DC Comics
Superhero slots are popular both at online casinos and live. When these are based on popular characters, the scope for imaginative slots with multiple bonus games shoots up. With the previous superheroes (from a franchise that began with Mar***) gone, the DC games have stepped up to fill the gap.
Here are my picks from this range:
- Green Lantern Slot: Cascading wins, where winning symbols explode, and the gaps get filled, are just the start of the action for this title. The bonus features are triggered based on how many wins you get in a row. They are free spins games with wild reels, multipliers and more. This is a brilliantly put together game – with stunning visuals where the Green Lantern himself springs to life during the features. Check out this Green Lantern Slot Review for more.
- The Dark Knight Rises: This one keeps the dark feel of Gotham City and is based on the movie of the same name. It has 6 reels, and 2 types of respin with locking wilds (one for Batman, one for the Joker). The highlight is the Gotham City free spins bonus with giant, mis-shaped symbols which go wild when they overlap. This Dark Knight Rises slot review explains more.
- Justice League: More superheroes on one slot than you’ll find anywhere. Each of them has a different free spins game. You choose a bigger number of spins, or bigger winning potential with fewer spins. There is also a special frame on the bottom right, which unlocks plenty of on-reel features. Join Wonder Woman, Batman and more for this lively game. Again, full details can be found in my Justice League slot review.
There are many more titles to choose from. These include Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice, Man of Steel, Superman: The Movie, Superman II and the original Dark Knight.
Find out which is your favourite DC Comics slot (and grab your 10 no-deposit free spins) over at www.bgo.com now!
PlayTech: Age of the Gods Slots Range
These slots are very different from each other. What they have in common is a myths theme. This includes a mix of Greek and Roman mythology. I found all of them worth a spin – though of course, everyone has a favourite.
As covered in the jackpots section above, these games have a shared progressive. The same prizes can be won on any of the games – and at any stake.
This section is shorter, since there is a huge piece covering and comparing these titles already here at SNG Planet. You can find that in my Age of the Gods Slot Special. Here are the titles:
- Age of the Gods Slot: The original in this range, different 4 god-themed free spins games and a 10,000-coins to prize.
- Fate Sisters: Again, 3 different free spins bonuses. A random ‘gift from the sisters’ can also boost your bankroll.
- Furious 4: This one is based on 4 ‘ages’ (you guessed it, each has a different free spins game). Excellent animations on this title.
- God of Storms: Wilds get blown across the reels in this title. It is different from the others as there is no free spins game (though stacked wilds balance this).
- Goddess of Wisdom: Wisdom and war combine in this slot – 3 different free spins games and watch out for those owls!
- King of Olympus: Zeus features this time, increasing multipliers and a wild 3rd reel make for an excellent combination in the free spins bonus.
- Medusa and Monsters: 6 reels and 164 win-lines. The main bonus features ‘petrified’ symbols which stick to the reels.
- Prince of Olympus: The best graphics and 3 distinct bonus features. The visuals for the ‘Hydra Battle’ have to be seen.
PlayTech Slot Themes: Sport Based Slots
Many slot software houses have a few games tied to sport. PlayTech have a long list. Some tie-in with real stars, others are more generally sport-themed.
Top of the list is the popular Frankie Detorri’s Magic Seven. This is based on the day he won every race on the card – and includes a horse-race bonus game. It is not the newest title, though is still entertaining. There is also an updated ‘Frankie Detorri’s Sporting Legends’ game. The race here is completely different (think multipliers!).
The other star-themed game is based on snooker. You can play Ronnie O’Sullivan’s Sporting Legends. Instead of a grid of reels, the game is set on a snooker table. Get the max 147 symbol 5 times, and you could be looking at a big break.
Some of the other sports-themed slots include: Ice Hockey, Bench Warmer Football Girls, Football Carnival, Football Fans and Football Rules. You can also get a sports tie-in via the Top Trumps: Football Legends slot.
PlayTech Slot Themes: TV / Movie Tie-Ins
This is the biggest list of all. It does include some legacy titles, which don’t make the cut in terms of graphics and game-play these days. The PlayTech movie-themed slots range also includes many of the best titles.
- The Mummy: Directly tied to the recent movie, this is one of my personal favourites. Graphics are stunning (check out the expanding mummy wilds!). What I like best about it is the depth of bonus games. There is a progressive element to these. Each time you visit the chamber, you’ll get a new bonus (cascading wins, extra wild mummies, free spins and so on). These stay on the left-hand side, giving you the option to pick one and switch between them easily. A stunning slot, which is definitely worth a quick spin. Read my detailed review of The Mummy Slot here
- Gladiator Slots: There are now two of these. The second one is subtitled ‘Road to Rome’. Both are good, solid games – though the graphics are starting to look a little dated. Check out the huge progressive jackpot that can be won in this game.
- Terminator Genysis: Dark and edgy, this slot will (literally) have you jumping in your sear for certain animations. There is plenty of bonus game action to be getting on with.
Again, this is the tip of the iceberg. Other notable tie-in games include the X-files slots, Gladiator (two of them), Robocop, Top Gun, Dirty Dancing, Greece, The Matrix and the Six Million Dollar Man. There is some cross-over here with the DC Comics games – with many of those titles based on movies.
You can check them out (and claim your 10 no-deposit needed free spins) over at www.bgo.com
PlayTech Quirky / Funny Slot Themes
Humour works well with online slots. While PlayTech are not the most ‘out there’ when it comes to crazy ideas – there are some entertaining titles in their range. What is not to like about an Irish themed slot with a sheep-shearing bonus round?!
Here are 3 picks, with some mentions below that:
- Monty Python’s Spammalot: It’s the bonus games which bring this game to life. Dodging cows thrown from a castle (together with insults in a French accent) and trying to overcome the killer bunny should give you an idea. This slot also has a big progressive jackpot.
- Spud O’Reilly’s Crops of Gold: This is an entertaining Irish Luck themed slot with a quirky difference. Spud is quite the character, and the sheep shearing bonus game gives you a shot at winning up to 100x your total bet. Check out this review of Spud O’Reilly’s Crops of Gold Slot for more.
- Viking Mania: Slots based on Vikings (or Norse Myths) are nothing new. Viking Mania takes a different angle on this theme. Key to the humour are the Viking Playtime bonus games. Here you’ll see a hapless character tied to a target and throw axes at him to win prizes. More is my detailed Viking Mania slot review.
Traditional Slot Themes in the PlayTech Range
Just about every regular slot theme is covered. There are a lot of Asian style slots to be found, some of them are basic, though others have excellent bonus games to go with their traditional symbols.
Ancient Egypt is covered by several slots. I already mentioned the movie tie-in ‘The Mummy’, which is the best of them. You can also play Age of Egypt, Daring Dave and the Eye of Ra (think Indiana Jones!), The Pyramid of Ramesses and Egypt Spin.
Irish luck is a slot staple. There are several titles in the PlayTech range covering this. Again, one is already covered (Spud O’Reilly). You can also find; Plenty O’Fortune, Irish Luck and Gaelic Luck to play.
Underwater themes, Vegas (Cat in Vegas is worth a look), Jungle / Inca style games, Dragons and fruit / gems games are all available too.
What Characteristics do PlayTech Slots Share?
As you’ll see from the info above, there are a lot of different styles and themes to enjoy. Here I cover those factors which PlayTech slots have in common.
Regular Setups: Some slots have extra reels or unusual shapes. Compared to the other slot software houses, PlayTech use the traditional 5x3 or 5x4 setup in most of their games. The number of win-lines tends to be smaller, with fewer all-ways slots and more 20 to 30-line games.
Turbo Mode: Most games give you the option to speed up the spinning of the reels. You can still double click the spin button to speed things up any more. I find turbo mode has the right balance, faster, without being too fast.
Licensed Themes: Compared to the likes of BetSoft, Rival Gaming or even MicroGaming, PlayTech have a lot of movie / sports / tv tie-ins. Some of these are older, though the majority still hold their own in these innovative times.
Big Jackpots: This page opened with a look at the many progressive prize pools on offer. What I like about these is that they can be won at any bet level. These are often won via random picks games which pop up independently of the spin itself.
About PlayTech: A Quick-Fire History
PlayTech was started in 1999 in Estonia when a group of entrepreneurs from the casino, software engineering and multimedia industries came together to form a casino software development company. In 2001 they welcomed their first licensee and have never looked back, growing year on year, being listed on the London Stock Exchange in 2006. Alongside casino software, the company has diversified to offer bingo, poker and sports betting and have formed long standing relationships with many of the top online casino sites.
Wrapping Up: Planet Mark’s PlayTech Picks!
For some slot software houses, picking my top 3 is easy…. With PlayTech, not so much. After narrowing the field to 11, some hard thinking, and a look at making the selections different to each other, I have come up with the following picks:
- The Mummy: It is the mix of stunning (and somewhat gruesome) visuals, and the progressive unlocking of on-reel features which makes this a go-to. Once you unlock the different options, you can select an icon from the left to change things on every spin. For example, choose expanding wilds one spin, then cascading wins, then scatters… and so on. This game ties in with the movie of the same name. It takes graphics / scenes from this – which works brilliantly.
- Green Lantern: This is a DC Comics jackpot slot, though it is the regular game-play rather than the jackpot which puts it on my picks list (at least until I win the progressive!). Cascading wins is nothing new. What is new is that sequences of them trigger excellent bonus features. You’ll find yourself rooting for just one more cascade, which keeps you involved in the game-play.
- Piggies and with Wolf: A new take on an old classic tale. This game is excellent for a fun diversion when you fancy a break from the more serious themes. Instead of the pigs, you’ll be helping out the wolf during one of the bonus games. This involves picking items to help him blow down the houses of the hapless pigs. Brilliant animations and a light feel make this the perfect escape from all those serious movie themed slots.
Play PlayTech Slots Now at BGO Casino
BGO tick all the right boxes (older trusted brand, great selection and excellent player promos), and have become my go-to casino for PlayTech slots.
You'll find all the jackpots, movie tie-ins and quirky / fun themes from PlayTech - alongside a huge list from Blueprint, IGT, NetEnt and others.
Best of all, you get 10 free spins with no deposit (and no play-through) to check out the games.
Check out www.bgo.com now and enjoy some PlayTech action!